Friday, April 9, 2010

DFW Connection Concern

I will be arriving at Gate B36 (American Eagle) and departing from Gate D33 (American). This is a domestic flight connecting to an international flight. My arrival time at B36 is 4:50 and departure time at D33 is 5:30. I cannot change the reservations as I am with a group. Any suggestions to insure I do not miss this flight? What is the best way to traverse from terminal B to D? Can I stay within the secure area to prevent having to go through security at DFW? All suggestions greatly appreciated.



DFW Connection Concern


YIKES. I don%26#39;t mean to alarm you, but that is below what is referred to as minimum connection time. You may wish to go to American Airlines and ask to fly stand-by for an earlier flight leaving (I assume) Corpus Christi. They can see that you are on an AA international flight, and may make the change for you. You can usually confirm the change on the day of departure for $50.00, or standby for free.



DFW Connection Concern


If you take the sky tram (train), you don%26#39;t have to go through security again. However, the tram only comes every so often (although frequently). You may want to look online and see how often it comes. That would probably be the best way. Walking isn%26#39;t an option.




You should be fine. You are at about the minimum time (35-40 minutes), but it%26#39;s do-able.





1) Try to get a seat close to the front of the inbound jet, so you%26#39;ll be close to first out the door. Any checked bags are automatically transferred, so just grab your carry-on bag and go. If you%26#39;re thinking of doing only carry-ons, bad plan; you can check 2 free for international (but I%26#39;d only pack one bag, regardless of the length of the trip, and have one handbag/computer bag/backpack for personal stuff on-board with me).





2) From B36 walk to the first skylink escalator at gates B28-b31, trains run every two minutes, be sure to get on the Terminal D side, train will not take more than about ten minutes, maybe less, exit at D24-34 exit, go down the escalator. There may be a moving walkway for a portion of the way, if so, use it.





When I%26#39;m running a tight schedule, I ask the gate personnel where I%26#39;m departing (B36 in your case) to call the gate I%26#39;m heading to (D34) and let them know a passenger is en route.





Barring unforeseen problems, I think you%26#39;ll make it. Keep in mind that if you%26#39;re having weather issues, so is everyone else (usually), and that everything will be backed up.




Thanks everyone for your responses. It is greatly appreciated.




Also, meant to endorse the possibility of going stand-by on an earlier flight. It is always much better not to be stressed, and if you get an earlier flight the stress factor goes way down. However, if you aren%26#39;t able to change anything, I still think you%26#39;re probably okay.




ok people - 40 minutes is PLENTY of time to catch a connection in Dallas - I used to fly through DFW two to four times a week for work and it never took me more than 10 to 15 minutes to get to my next gate using the SkyTrain - the only issue would be if your flight coming in to Dallas was delayed




I have checked gate locations and am comfortable with making the connection if my inbound flight is on time and arrives at the gate promptly. This would be less significant if the outbound flight to Madrid was not the only Madrid flight that day. I am linking up with a group in Spain that will not be able to wait an extra day if I arrive a day late. Thanks again for all the comments.




I am not sure if you have taken your flight yet. However, I%26#39;d be quite concerned with this connection. Assuming your first flight arrives on time (and that%26#39;s an IF), it means the plane gets to the gate at 4:50. You%26#39;d need about 10 minutes, give or take to de-plane, 5 minutes to the Sky Train, another 5 minutes to Terminal D, 5 minutes to your gate. That means the earliest you can get to your gate is 5:10. Your onward flight%26#39;s doors might be closed by 5:15 since 5:30 is the actual push-back time. I%26#39;d say this whole thing seems too tight to me. See if you can change to an earlier flight.




I had a connection in London%26#39;s Heathrow(75 minutes) where I had to change terminals %26amp; was more than a little stressed if we would make it. We made it no problem %26amp; was so impressed by how well the airport moved as well as signage directing you around(I researched it in advance to know exactly where I had to get to). I don%26#39;t know Dallas%26#39;s airport(am coming there in Aug.) but with some research you should be fine.




Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will get to the airport early and hope to fly standby. If not I now have a plan for getting from Terminal B to Terminal D in the most efficient manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment