Sunday, April 4, 2010

are the square dance performances in Houston

I will be in Houston in Oct/Nov. Lived in Houston during my high school years, but has since then moved away. My family now lives in Asia and I want to take my kids to experience the country/cowboy culture. My 3-year-old loves dancing, so I thought about taking her to see square dancing. I surfed on the web, and the only sites I found are all for social square dancing. I don%26#39;t know how to square dance myself, so I am looking for a place with a festive atmosphere and just let the kids watch and perhaps, join in a bit if the people don%26#39;t feel my daughter is much in the way...Any suggestions? We will be staying in the Willowbrook/FM1960 area.



are the square dance performances in Houston


I don%26#39;t have any specific information, but I would guess the social square dance clubs would be glad for you to visit them while they are dancing. I%26#39;d email a couple and see what develops. They also would be a good source for information about possible events or festivals during the time you%26#39;ll be in Houston.



are the square dance performances in Houston


Square- and line- dancing are not all that typical of Texas. They%26#39;re more common in the deep south / appalachians area (e.g., Nashville). Still, at any C%26amp;W dance hall, a line dance is likely to break out at some point, mainly for the ladies (so I%26#39;m told -- I don%26#39;t frequent those clubs)...





In Texas, the ';Two Step'; is the more common dance. You can see this at any club, but I don%26#39;t know about any place appropriate for a 3yo. You%26#39;d probably have to be on the watch for a church social, many of which are open to the public (for a small donation/fee).





For cowboy life, head on over to San Antonio / Bandera. Bandera will really give you a taste of the cowboy life, with dude ranches, rodeos, and the full gamut.




Contrary to prior posts, I believe square dancing is still alive and well in Houston, and throughout Texas.





A good starting point for you would be this web site: HOUSTON SQUARE AND ROUND DANCE COUNCIL, INC.



COUNCIL TELEPHONE: 713-728-8050 www.squarethru.com





The 61st Houston Hoe Down is a big production down in Galveston in October, and is profiled on this web page.





There are also a list of several clubs in Houston showing a schedule and place their periodic dances, frequently in a church near their home base.




Sorry, didn%26#39;t mean to give the impression that it couldn%26#39;t be found, just that it isn%26#39;t the ';common'; dance (however, in Nashville, it%26#39;s fairly pervasive).





I%26#39;m sure you can find something, but I still think that if you want a real cowboy adventure, you would do well to look into dude ranches, etc.





The council link is a great one, btw. Very helpful...




Guys, thanks for all your help. Actually, any C%26amp;W dancing is good. I just want my daughter to experience a bit more of the ';West.';





Bandera is pretty far away! Do you mean Bandera in general or the Dixie Dude Ranch specifically?





I think I know what you mean when you say there isn%26#39;t so much square dancing in Houston. The only time I went to one was in College Station (I am an Aggie! Gig %26#39;em).




Hi E,







It may be a problem for your two year old to get into the places where people dance %26#39;country%26#39;; most of them are bars, and admittance would be for those either 18 and up, or 21 (legal drinking age in the U.S.)





Please don%26#39;t let that discourage you though, and do call the Square dance association%26#39;s number, so that your daughter can enjoy Texas.





Please try to get to our Houston Children%26#39;s Museum, as well; it is Very hands-on, and kids Love it--sounds like it is perfect for your daughter!





enjoy!





cc,



Cupcake

No comments:

Post a Comment