Sunday, April 4, 2010

40 something single woman visiting Plano

I%26#39;m visiting Plano soon and am looking for info. Where to stay in the area for starters. I will be sunning at the pool, and shopping. The pools at most of the hotels are indoors or look very bleak, stark, no landscaping, basically in the parking lot. Aloft looks nice but the reviews make it sound like a younger crowd. Thanks!





40 something single woman visiting Plano


The hotels in Plano for the most part are the small chain types so the pools are not their focus. About the best you will find in Plano is the Marriott at Legacy Town Center.





Do you need to be in Plano proper or can you look at hotels closer in to Dallas?



40 something single woman visiting Plano


No, I don%26#39;t need to be in Plano. I knew there was a Whole Foods nearby, plus the Colony mall. I%26#39;m also interested in visiting IKEA. I will be flying into Denison and driving to the Dallas area from there, and had heard that traffic in Dallas was challenging...what ideas do you have further in? Thanks!




If shopping is what you%26#39;re planning on doing, then I would suggest staying in the Legacy Town Center already mentioned or Frisco. I%26#39;m a 40-something woman who used to live and work in the area, and now travel back there frequently for a variety of purposes.





I don%26#39;t know of any hotels in either of these cities that have large outdoor pools. As far as a younger crowd, well...it%26#39;s a city where there will be families taking weekend trips for sports events like soccer tournaments or just for shopping like you, so you may or may not encounter that...it%26#39;s the luck of the draw so to speak. I actually have never encountered that myself in Plano, but I have in Grapevine (baseball tournament). I%26#39;m sure it is a possibility. It can be annoying to be at a pool with a bunch of young boys doing cannonballs I know. But I wouldn%26#39;t worry about it too much though. Now if you mean some sort of 20s something scene, I don%26#39;t think you%26#39;ll find that there.





The pool at the Marriott mentioned above is small and actually on the second floor level. It%26#39;s fine. They have a really nice workout area and sauna. Also in Plano, I%26#39;ve stayed at the Courtyard Marriott at the Legacy Town Center and the Courtyard Marriott on Preston Rd in Plano. Both have small pools but are located in a courtyard area. I would describe them as comfortable feeling, not luxurious but fine for lounging in the sun and reading a book. They are not by the parking lot, and you can get a ground floor room with a sliding glass door that will put you within steps of the pool if you wish.





In Frisco, I%26#39;ve stayed at the Hampton Inn. It is really nice and convenient to the Stonebriar Mall and IKEA. Another small but nice pool. I%26#39;ve stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on Preston, and its pool is probably not what you%26#39;re looking for.





Hope this helps!








P.S. I don%26#39;t know how long your trip is, but for shopping ideas: Stonebriar Mall in Frisco, the whole area around it (including IKEA and Sam Moon), the Legacy Town Center in Plano is really nice, and try to make it to NorthPark Center in Dallas. It is very nice also.





There are many others but I%26#39;d start with those.




It kind of depends- do you want a really nice, resort type pool set up or would the Marriott at Legacy Town Center be OK and keep you close to IKEA and other shopping? You are right about the traffic being a challenge. So, if you want a decent pool and close, go with Marriott. There is a free shuttle (within 3 miles). Be sure to check on the parking cost.





However, two of the nicest pool set ups are in Las Colinas (Irving)- the Four Seasons and the Omni. They are more resort oriented if that aspect of your stay is important. Of course, they are also 25 miles from Plano.




Here%26#39;s a nice resort near Plano and very close to IKEA; www.stonebriar.com





You%26#39;re probably already familiar with the entertainment district close by called Shops of Legacy; www.shopsoflegacy.com





For the over 40 crowd for entertainment I%26#39;d recommend the following;





www.erniesofnorthdallas.com This is in Addison.



www.wilhoites.com which is over in Grapevine





Also The Glass Cactus Night Club next to the Gaylord Texan resort also in Grapevine.




Ok, my bad. The resort is Westin Stonebriar.





www.westinstonebriar.com





Basically at 121 and Legacy Dr.




I have no idea why I can%26#39;t get these websites right.





Willhoites is www.willhoites.com





Sorry for the confusion.




The Westin is probably a very good suggestion. I don%26#39;t usually recommend hotels I haven%26#39;t actually stayed at myself but I%26#39;m betting it would give you what you want. When I stayed at the Marriott in Legacy Town Center I loved the location (walk right over the the Shops at Legacy and all the nice restaurants, outdoor jazz music on Saturday) but wasn%26#39;t that impressed with the hotel itself. The Westin is very near the Marriott, I drove by it when we stayed at the Marriott and thought it would also be convenient to the Shops at Legacy. I checked out pics of the Westin pool and it looks very nice (better looking than the other hotels in the area, more of a resort-type pool).




The Westin at one time had a shopping package, but seems like it was billed as a bring your friends shopping weekend so might not be available for one. Went with a few friends, interestingly enough from Denison (how is it you are flying into Denison of all places? LOL!) Couple of things. There has been construction on 75 in the Sherman area, but they seem to be in process of winding that up so if you aren%26#39;t traveling for a few weeks you should be fine. Also in McKinney in the 380/75 exchange area, but that seems to be going along fairly well. Try to avoid hitting McKinney at 6pm on a weekday say, otherwise you should do well enough.





Getting back to the girlie shopping weekend package, my girlfriends say a number of the hotels in the area have them, and they basically just include the addition of a shuttle to and from the nearest shopping area or mall, call and ask them about it or check the website of the hotel you favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment