Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Personal Safety at BBNP

Ok this may sound like a very strange question, but here goes: My husband is freaking out about the drug violence reported in Mexico and is thinking we should cancel our trip to Big Bend for spring break. I keep telling him, it%26#39;s a national park. We will be safe.





Can anyone on the forum comment on this topic and suggest any evidence to convince him all will be well?





thanks!



Personal Safety at BBNP


yes, a definite overreaction...and sorry to tell you this but the overall problem is likely closer to the midwest than he would suspect



..think about it ..drugs follow the money....i.e. the cities Plus, who is taking wads of cash and jewelry on their camping trip? It wouldn%26#39;t be worthwhile. Did he watch a Coen brothers film recently? It is definitely a safe place.



Personal Safety at BBNP


Here%26#39;s a view from Texas. There%26#39;s no problem in the Big Bend region, not because it%26#39;s a national park but because the Mexican side is incredibly difficult to access from Mexico due to geography. Don%26#39;t cancel - it%26#39;s amazing!




Thanks for the responses... hubby actually grunted and grinned when he read them, I think he was just yanking my chain. Houston we are go and I can%26#39;t wait to get there, it%26#39;s been a long 2009 already know what I mean?




I agree with the other posts and I%26#39;ve been to BB several times and always felt completely safe. That said, when hiking, more than a few hours from a trail head, or in a particularly isolated area I would recommend carrying a pistol. This requires training and licensing, but I think it is well worth the effort to afford that protection.




Let me just note that it%26#39;s illegal to carry firearms in National Parks.




Thank you for asking that question? My husband and I were concerned about the safety of BB too. We like to stay at the more primitive sites and were also thinking about cancelling because I could not find any information about the safety issue. Thank you all for replying to the original question. You have relieved our fears. We love BB. If anyone has had or heard of any problems with camping in primitive sites please comment.




As of early 2009, the firearm laws in national parks reflect the laws of the state they are in. So Big Bend%26#39;s firearm laws are Texas%26#39; firearm laws. See Big Bend%26#39;s press release at nps.gov/bibe/…20Release.pdf or, better yet, talk to a park ranger. The most important thing, period, is to be well trained. I%26#39;m on the way to Big Bend this week and the only ';threats'; I%26#39;ve read about are the very, very rare mountain lion or bear. Therefore, I%26#39;ll double-check with a ranger, but at this point I%26#39;ll be leaving my weapon locked up in my truck. Don%26#39;t carry it if you%26#39;re not prepared to use it.




I%26#39;m pretty sure that the PDF you linked to is outdated. Before Bush left office, they tried to repeal the gun ban in national parks, but the courts blocked it. I think the PDF is addressing that, because it is several months old.





The new law, passed by Congress, does not take effect until next February (2010). I was just in Big Bend last week, and it most definitely was posted that firearms are NOT allowed in the park as of now. I%26#39;ve been to several others as well in the past two weeks, and they have all had posters up in visitor centers explaining that nothing changes until next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment