Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Connecting at DFW...

Hey,





I%26#39;m flying from Brussels to Lubbock in July, and have to change planes in Toronto and Dallas. In Toronto I have about 3 hours, so this is not an issue (though I would like to know whether i%26#39;ll have to recheck my luggage).





In Dallas however, I only have 40 minutes, due to rescheduling (I had an hour at first). I will fly to Dallas with American Airlines and to Lubbock with American Eagle.I am in the a4 seat, so I won%26#39;t have to wait very long to get out of the plane. Will I be able to catch my plane?





More important, I also have the same short connection going from DFW to Toronto, and 40 minutes for connecting to an international flight seems quite short to me. Is it still possible though (again, I%26#39;ll be in front of the plane).





I would appreciate yopur help very much!



Connecting at DFW...


Those are tight time frames and American has a pretty bad on-time rate. That said, I can%26#39;t remember the last time I missed a connection, and I%26#39;m thinking it was a weather problem more than anything else. I fly about 120 segments or so a year.





Normally, you do not have to re-check luggage on international flights. You go through customs and then your bags are left in the baggage drop off area and transited to your plane by the baggage staff.





All international flights use Terminal D. American Eagle flights are exclusively out of Terminal B, rarely may be A or C, but the likelihood is you%26#39;ll be transiting from D to B inbound and B to D outbound.





You%26#39;ll be going through customs in Dallas, too, and it%26#39;s usually quick. Our baggage check-in time is 40 minutes before the flight, so I%26#39;m thinking there%26#39;s a possibility that you might make the flight, but your baggage may make a later flight. In that circumstance the airline will deliver your bag to you. If you%26#39;re staying in the Lubbock area that%26#39;s not a problem, but if you%26#39;re going a distance by car, too, then you might want to wait until your luggage arrives. Really don%26#39;t know what the turn-around time for luggage from D, through customs, and to B might be.





From Lubbock to Dallas is not a problem at all as your luggage will automatically be sent to the next plane and you just have to get yourself over to the gate.





If you really think you%26#39;re going to have issues you might touch base with American and tell them your booking was changed and you need to look at alternatives. You should not be charged a change fee when the airlines has made the first change. But the agent may tell you they don%26#39;t expect a problem and to stick with your current arrangements.





The Skylink (normally the fastest way to get from different terminals/gates takes and takes about 10 -15 minutes (including walking time to the skylink and wait time). A train runs about every two minutes.





www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do…



Connecting at DFW...


Thank you for your answer! I%26#39;m a little aay from Lubbock, but not that far, I%26#39;ll have to make sure to take some extra clothes in my carry-on then. I was more worried about me not making it, especially when connecting on the way back, there is only oe flight from Toronto to Brussels a day.

1 comment: